If you are unsure as to how a Base Usage Rate (BUR) and licensing work, it is recommended that you read this first, before proceeding with the Usage Calculator below.
The Usage Calculator is a fantastic tool that can be used to calculate the costs for any additional usage of commissioned work, over and above the rights included with the initial fee.
The original negotiated fee would normally include the following as industry-standard practice:
1 Year UK use or any single country plus any two media (a third media may be included depending on its proportion of the media spend), or;
2 Years UK use or any single country plus any one media.
To start you just need to enter your BUR (Base Usage Rate) amount and then select in the drop-downs from each different section i.e. media type, territory, etc.
The Usage Calculator will then provide you with a figure that you can use as a starting point for negotiations with your client.
How to add the Usage Calculator as a standalone app on your phone
2. Once the site is loaded, choose the 'Send To' icon at the bottom (the icon that looks like an arrow trying to get away from a square)
3. In that window, choose 'Add to Home Screen' (should be 6th item on bottom row).
4. On the confirmation screen that appears, choose ‘Add'
5. The icon will now appear with all your other apps
6. The Usage Calculator will now work as an app, even if you are off-line. Try turning off wifi and cellular connections and running it.
2. Once the site is loaded, tap the ‘Menu’ button
3. Choose ‘Save to…’ or 'Add to Home Screen’
4. Enter a name for the shortcut (‘AOP usage calculator’ for example)
6. The Usage Calculator will now work as an app, even if you are off-line.