'ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH?'
AOP Accredited Photographer membership is only available to Professional Photographers. Applicants must pass a portfolio review in order to be accepted. If your application is successful, membership of the AOP offers many benefits including:
- Free Professional Indemnity insurance cover up to £250k (*UK & EU members only) underwritten by Hiscox provided through Williamson Carson
- Eligibility to enter the prestigious annual AOP Photography Awards
- Access to Business and Legal advice from experienced advisers
- Showcase up to 30 images in your online portfolio hosted in our Find a Photographer area
- Membership of the AOP private online professional photographers-only forum; where technical, artistic and business discussions take place
- AOP Photographer members can obtain a maximum discount of 30% off insurance premiums with Williamson Carson. This is a substantially better deal than is available through other associations and online groups.
- There are also discounts available through Towergate Camerasure, 20% off printing with Genesis, plus many, more.
Criteria and terms of membership:
As an Accredited Photographer member of the AOP, your work must demonstrate a level and standard that:
- meets the expectations of commercial buyers and professional commissioners of photography
- is consistent with having been a professional photographer for more than two years
In addition we require:
- Electronic examples of your work as well as a link to your website(s).
- Support documentation for at least 2 of the requirements you have chosen from the list detailed within the application form (downloadable below).
All evidence should be submitted by e-mail when you submit the application form.
You are also expected to abide by the AOP Members' Charter, which you should read (here) before applying.
By joining, you commit to a minimum term of membership of 12 months. This will be renewed automatically on its anniversary unless you give one calendar month's notice to the Membership Team in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In summary we can provide you with:
- Business and Legal support. This includes, if required, referral to our IP specialist law firm, retained by the Association (first half-hour consultation at a discounted member's rate).
- Listing in the Members Folio/Find a Photographer area of our website including images, contact details, web & email links.
- Professional Indemnity insurance cover up to £250k (*UK & EU members only) underwritten by Hiscox
- NUJ Press Card* (Available to AOP Photographer Members for an additional cost)
- Apple AOP EPP discount scheme
- Access to free PDF version of Beyond the Lens, the industry gold-standard professional practice textbook with information and advice on business and legal matters
- Access to the AOP Member Forum to share advice and ask questions of other professional photographers.
- Eligibility to enter the "AOP Photographer" member categories of the AOP Awards.
- Discounted entry to the Open categories of the AOP Awards
- Fortnightly member-only newsletter.
- Industry discounts off insurance premiums with Williamson Carson, Towergate Camerasure, hire discounts with Holborn Studios, Brunswick Studios, 20% off printing with Genesis, 15% off Bikinilists, 20% off Pixelrights website portfolios, 10% off Capture One, a free listing in Kays app and printed pages directory plus many, more. (* terms may apply)
- Workshops and Events at discounted rates.
- AOP Accredited Photographer member logo
- AOP Usage Calculator
- Business template documents and forms
- Discounts on Beyond the Lens and AOP Awards Book publications.
- Free buy/sell advertisements on the AOP's website.
- Free Job Shop advertisements on the AOP's website (not to be used to advertise for freelance assistants).
- AOP Photographer members can claim an additional 10% discount off the membership fee of £84+VAT a year for Assisting Photographers working with them
For more information email us at email@example.com
Accredited Photographer members of the AOP have voting rights. This entitles you to attend our Annual General Meeting and vote on any motions regarding the AOP and/or members of the AOP's Board of Directors.
Accredited Photographer Membership (working as a professional photographer for more than 2 years)
- £330 p.a. plus VAT (UK membership)
- £252 p.a. no VAT (overseas membership)
N.B. For any card payments please contact the office on 020 7739 6669
**NO JOINING FEE
Comments about the AOP:
"I'm a big fan of the AOP. When I left college, all the photographers whose work I admired and aspired to were members, so joining was a no-brainer. Since then, I've benefitted in countless ways, from organising exhibitions to complex legal advice. Success in the Awards also provided a significant increase in the number and quality of my commissions. Given all the ongoing changes and developments in photography, having the support of the AOP has never been more essential" - George Logan
"The main reason for me, as an overseas member, to join the AOP was the Awards. I think its still the best Photography Award with the greatest work from the year - Its an honour to be chosen for the book and very exciting every year. Also a great opportunity to get your work seen by so many people" - Christian Schmidt